Stephanie Smith spent the first year of her son’s life searching for answers on a serious skin condition that left the newborn with a burn-like rash over most of his body. Imagine her shock when she found the answer lay in the treatment she was using.
Smith’s son Isaiah began showing signs of the skin inflammation at just three months old. What started as a ring around a cut on his cheek quickly spread and became a raw, red rash whenever he would come in contact with people wearing perfume or clothes with fabric softener.
Her pediatricians diagnosed eczema and prescribed a low dose of corticosteroids, which are available over the counter.